The spacious 12X10 Cape Cod Playhouse by Little Cottage Company, the country's leading maker of wonderful children's playhouses, is sure to bring years of joy to your kids. The durable construction and elegant design make it a great fit for any family.
Assembly can take as little as a day depending on how much help you have. The kits are shipped as panels that are pre-assembled, primed, and ready for painting in your choice of colors. The siding is pre-fastened onto wall panels as is the trim that helps define the character of the playhouse.
The customer is responsible for providing shingles, paint, and the drip edge, all of which are readily available at your local home center. This allows you to customize the Cape Cod Playhouse to exactly the final look you desire. A variety of other options are available to further enhance the appearance and usability of your playhouse.
The sturdy frame construction and hefty weight of the structure ensure that it will withstand all kinds of weather conditions. Two working windows with screens are included that use tempered safety glass. Entry is easy with two doors, one for children and one adult-sized door on the back side.
Have the piece of mind knowing that your kids are safe in your backyard playing in their very own playhouse. The 12X10 Cape Cod Playhouse will help them build memories that your entire family will cherish for years to come.
- Model: 10x12 CCP-WPNK
- UPC: 610074098805
- Nominal size: 12' width x 10' length
- Outside dimensions: 12' 1" width (facing child's door) x 10' 1" depth
- Outside height (without 4" x 4" runners): 109 ½"
- Outside height (with 4" x 4" runners"): 113"
- Inside height: 97"
- Side wall height: 51"
- Wall is framed with 2" x 3" wood
- Wood trusses 2’ on center with 2" x 4" wood
- High quality LP Smartside® siding and straight trim prefastened onto wall panels to ensure the panels are square
- Panelized wall sections for easier assembly
- All other parts are precut and ready to assemble
- Includes 2 working 14" x 21" windows with screens, tempered safety glass, shutters, and flower boxes
- Includes your choice of 2 large or 3 small non-functional Cape Cod dormers that are open through the roof, each with grid windows (non-working)
- Child’s Dutch door is 20" wide x 40" high
- Adult Dutch door on side is 54" wide x 72" high
- All hardware needed for assembly (screws, latches, handles, nails) is included
- Outside corner trim (white aluminum)
- All trim and siding is preprimed
- Link to excellent downloadable online manual with color pictures and step-by-step instructions
- Elegant design to fit any home
- Please be sure to check your local building code for any required permits
- All that is needed is a level surface that is at least the size of the exact exterior dimensions
- Friendly technical support available from Little Cottage Company for installation help
- Packed in heavy duty cardboard with plastic shrink wrap on a wooden pallet
- Note: Some pictures may not be to scale or show structure with options such as deck and rail kit or chimney
- Note: Customer provides their choice of paint, shingles (8 bundles), and drip edge (8 ten feet long pieces with one inch face) to achieve a completely custom look
- Note: Little Cottage Company playhouses are built to order and so can not be returned; please let us know if you have any questions at all
- Shipping weight: 1554 lbs.
- LP Smartside® is a green building material, is treated to resist rot, termites, and mold, and has a 5 year replacement/50 year limited warranty
- Little Cottage Company stands by its structures and works to make you 100% satisfied
- Proudly made in the U.S.A.
Additional Windows, Shutters, and Flower Boxes - Certain Little Cottage Company playhouses can accommodate additional window kits, shutters, and flower boxes. The trim and design will match the style of your structure you have chosen and they are easy to install. The working windows are 14" x 21" and have tempered safety glass, grids, and screens.
Chimney - Adding a decorative chimney further enhances the already beautiful look of the playhouse. The chimney is designed to be easily attached to the roof and comes in trim that matches that of your playhouse.
Deck and Rail Upgrade - Add a patio to your playhouse with the useful deck and rail upgrade. The deck becomes a gathering place for your kids and helps to complete the look of the playhouse. The rails come pre-painted white though you can paint them any color you choose. The deck runs the length of your playhouse and is three feet deep. For this playhouse, the deck and rail is not attached to the main structure but rather sits in front of the playhouse.
Dormers - The 12X10 Cape Cod Playhouse comes in your choice of 2 large or 3 standard size dormers.
Floor Kit - The floor kit for Little Cottage Company playhouses includes 5/8" plywood sheeting and 16" on center 2" x 4" joists that are cut to the exact size of your structure for easy assembly. To save money, customers can opt to build their own floor with materials from your local home center. This is mandatory for the 12X10 Cape Cod Playhouse. Some customers even use decking or even tiles for a truly custom floor.
Liftgate For Delivery - When your Little Cottage Company playhouse arrives from the shipper, the liftgate is a crane-type device that takes the giant pallet off the truck and places it in your driveway. Without the liftgate, the customer is required to have a total of two people to help unload the pallet from the truck. This is usually done by opening the shrink wrap and moving each piece to its destination in your garage or backyard.
This procedure typically only takes 15 or 20 minutes or so, and each piece may weigh anywhere from 40 to 80 pounds. The driver is not obligated to help unload the delivery, though we have not found this to ever be a problem. Ideally two people will be present to accept delivery so that everything is unloaded quickly and moved safely. When the liftgate is requested, only one person is needed to sign for the shipment.
Loft Upgrade - The loft adds another cozy play area inside the playhouse which is often used for storage. It runs the entire width of the structure. The loft is designed to fit the exact specifications of your playhouse and includes the ladder and rail.
About Little Cottage Company
Little Cottage Company is run by the Schlabach family of Berlin, OH, right in the heart of Amish country. It was started as a project to build the best playhouse possible for the owner's young daughter and has since expanded in a diverse line of playhouses, storage sheds, greenhouses, and personal chapels. Ensuring the highest quality and customer satisfaction is the top priority for all Little Cottage Company employees.
Each kit is built to order to your exact specifications and carefully inspected and packaged before being loaded onto the truck. The skilled craftsmanship and attention to detail is evident in every completed structure and there are thousands of happy customers in every state.
Assembly Tips For Little Cottage Company Playhouses
While the process of assembling a playhouse might seem daunting, these kits are designed to be assembled by even parents with no prior building experience. Depending on your skill level, the size of the structure, and the number of options you order, putting together a kit can take 2 adults one full day.
Many customers opt to hire a local handyman or contractor to simplify this process, and the affordable price of the kits makes it easy to do this. They can be readily found online at sites like AngiesList or ServiceMagic. An older copy of the assembly manual is available as a PDF near the bottom of this page to give you a better idea of the process.
Floor Kit - Whether you order the floor kit from Little Cottage Company or purchase it locally, it is recommended to install a floor under the playhouse. The floor helps to elevate the structure off the ground, greatly extending its longetiviy as is reduces the exposure of the frame to moisture. The floor also helps to ensure that the entire structure is perfectly square as the walls attach directly to it.
Runners - It is a best practice to fasten pressure-treated 4" x 4" runners underneath the floor. When the floor is flipped over, you're ready to start building the rest of the playhouse. This adds greatly to the stability of the structure and raises it above the ground a few inches. These runners are mandatory when you purchase the deck and rail option in order to keep the front child's door level with the deck. They make the floor much stronger and allow you to move it in one piece with a forklift or perhaps several strong adults.
Drip Edge - Besides the floor along with shingles and paint, which you purchase locally to allow for full customization of the look of your structure, a drip edge is needed. This is an inexpensive piece of aluminum flashing that attaches to the edge of the roof below the shingles. It wicks water away from the roof to the ground to make sure that it doesn't seep underneath the shingles and rot the wood. The drip edge is different from the decorative trim that some playhouses include.
Site Preparation - Customers often tell us that the trickiest part of the the process is making sure that they have a good foundation upon which to build the structure. This base should extend beyond the dimensions of your playhouse by around 12 inches on each side. It is ideal to have the foundation be as level as possible. Each of the options mentioned here, crushed stone, a concrete pad, or concrete pavers, will greatly increase the longetiviy of your structure by improving drainage and air flow, thereby keeping the wood looking as new as possible.
Using a base of about 4 to 5 inches of crushed stone (¾" clean) is recommended to allow for the best drainage underneath the structure. Using 12 inches of crushed stone around the perimeter is best as it allows for even more drainage and keeps weeds at bay.
The crushed stone can be installed by digging out 4 inches of soil and then simply leveling the stone. Or the frame of the floor can be first made with pressure-treated 4" x 4" runners or landscape timbers and then filled flush to the top with crushed stone.
Another option is a concrete pad that could be installed as the base. A good installation should be perfectly level and the pad should be as close to ground level as possible. Little Cottage Company recommends that the concrete pad extend beyond each side of the structure by 12 inches. Concrete pavers could also be used as a less expensive and quicker alternative to the concrete pad.